Both kids are quiet,
Or very near,
That blissful state.
What just happened?
- I didn’t follow our routine (such as it isn’t).
- The baby was over-tired.
- Even when not over-tired he rarely/never goes down without a fight.
- I planned to let him cry it out this evening.
- He’s not in jammies.
- She’s not bathed.
- She didn’t nap today.
- He didn’t nap (except in the car – doesn’t count!) today.
- She’s probably teething.
- She’s probably scarred emotionally by being in day care when I’m at the gym.
This shouldn’t be happening.
I suspect it has to do with magic potions. There are none that I’ve found to work. No matter what combination I try of: Tylenol for teething, Tylenol only if we remember it 30 minutes before seep time, Hylands for teething, just Tylenol/no Hylands, just Hylands/no Tylenol, Tylenol for growing pains, no Tylenol because it riles her up, getting them down before the clock strikes 7:30, letting them show tiredness signs, not caring about tiredness signs but sticking to the time, sticking to the routine exactly, being a very soothing person (ha!), being a very commanding person, minimizing distraction, allowing distraction so that they learn to sleep through it, saying “shhhh, shhhhh, shhhhhh, sh, sh, shussssssh” in that exact way – no matter what we try and in what order and what combination, none are reliable!
There is no magic potion.
Tonight, they went down well.
Thank you Jesus. It’s what I asked for.
One Confused Mama