Oats, wheat germ, flax seed, and a little sweet stuff … these granola bars are possibly the most popular thing I’ve ever baked. They are the perfect thing to bring on a camping trip, to make for your friend who just had a baby, to bring to the neighbors who just moved in, or to bake for yourself to go with your morning coffee or afternoon tea. Since almost everyone who’s ever tasted them has asked me for the recipe, I thought I would post it here for everyone to enjoy!
A few notes about this recipe:
- These have some great, nourishing ingredients in them, but they are NOT diet food! They’re definitely in the “breakfast treat” category – there’s a significant amount of sweetener (though less than other recipes I’ve seen), and they are pretty high calorie. Just be aware!
- They really are a perfect food for a new mom, especially if she’s nursing. Oats are particularly helpful for a mom establishing her milk supply; and more importantly, I’ve found it essential to have “one-handed food” around when you have a new baby … something you can easily eat while holding the babe in the other arm 🙂
- I did NOT create this recipe. I found it somewhere online waaaaaaaaaaay back in 2009 or so. I’ve tried to find the original source so I could give proper credit, but no luck. Six years is an eternity on the Internet. If you read this recipe and recognize it as your own, please let me know and I will edit this post to give you the credit!
Without further ado …
Awesome Granola Bars
Mix the following in a large bowl:
- 2 cups oats (not quick oats)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup wheat germ
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup to 1 cup dried fruit of your choice
- 1/2 cup to 1 cup chopped nuts of your choice (optional)
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tsp vanilla